Thursday, May 17, 2018


17MAY2018

Location: Gulf of Mexico apx. 40 miles out from Tampa, FL en route to Corpus Christi, TX;

Events: Was given rest of the Vessel Familiarization by the 2nd mate and tasked to assist the tankermen with acid washing the barge for the 1st half of my shift. In preparing for the acid wash the Chief Engineer assisted the tankermen and I in addressing several issues with the power washer including bypassing the fuel filter, manually connecting the high oil pressure alarm, and using the quick charge unit to start the engine due to a low battery. The 2nd shift I did some sweeping, moping and wood polishing in the wheelhouses. I also assisted the lead Tankerman in cleaning and preparing the Barge engine room for annual ABS inspection to be conducted in Corpus Christi, TX.

Things learned about vessel/barge: Location of important documents are in lower wheelhouse; vessel has more fire extinguishers then required; Vessel primarily runs from Tampa to Pascagoula, MS, Baytown, TX, or Corpus Christi, TX. Learned where many different tools and work supplies are located.

Classroom information application(s): OSHA/STCW Requirements for wearing a life vest going to and from Barge and Hardhat requirements for crane operations.

Supplemental Information: this is my 1st real day working a 6 & 6 schedule, its not as bad as I thought really, but it doesn’t leave a whole lot of room for non-sleeping downtime. I believe I’m getting along well with the crew and beginning to learn the nuances of life of this boat. I got to sit up on the bow of the barge and enjoy the clear skies and stars for the 1st time, it was a very soothing experience.

Rules of the Road Scenarios? None Observed.




No comments:

Post a Comment