Tuesday, May 22, 2018

22MAY2018

Location: Gulf of Mexico south of New Orleans, LA en route to Tampa, FL;

Events: The entire 1st watch was spent chipping, scooping and dumping sulfur overboard, the 3 of us got about half of it up and out. The 2 tankermen in the back watch got the main containment area cleared and the body of the tank hatch cleaned off. During my 2nd watch we broke up and discarded the remaining sulfur on the deck, completing about 95% of the work. Lastly, I assisted the Chief in taking off the high up, bulkhead-mounted port potable water tank hatch so we could assess how much water was still in there.

Things learned about vessel/barge: The potable water tank hatches are mounted up high for obvious reasons, but it makes them difficult to access.

Classroom information application(s): Dumping 5-gallon buckets of sulfur dust and rock over the edge of the barge had Man Overboard procedures at the forefront of my mind.

Supplemental Information: Today was hard work, but it honestly wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be, the worst part being the sulfur dust getting in my eyes and sinuses which burned pretty bad and isn’t easily dealt with. I was a bit surprised at how fast we got it all knocked out, I fully anticipated it taking the entire 3-day trip back to Tampa to complete. 

Rules of the Road Scenarios? None Observed.



No comments:

Post a Comment